The Cisco ASR 9000 Series is an operationally simple, future-optimized platform using next-generation hardware and software. The following are highlights of this next-generation platform:
- The Cisco ASR 9000 System brings increased power and simplicity to the edge, and the ASR 9000v sets the industry benchmark as a virtualized compact carrier-class converged access and aggregation platform. Using the Cisco “network virtualization” or nV technology, the Cisco ASR 9000 System offers exceptional pay-as-you-grow scale, carrier-class reliability, and simplified service provisioning.
- Cisco IOS XR Software modular operating system: The Cisco ASR 9000 Series uses the Cisco IOS XR operating system, made famous by the highly successful Cisco CRS Carrier Routing System platform in core deployments. Built for distributed systems such as the Cisco ASR 9000 Series, the Cisco IOS XR operating system uses a microkernel architecture to achieve true modularity. This modularity provides the path to nonstop operations during software image upgrades or module changes, without affecting normal platform operations.
- Fully distributed system: The Cisco ASR 9000 Series operates in a fully distributed fashion; all packet-forwarding decisions and actions take place on the individual line cards. These high-density Ethernet line cards are equipped with a specialized network processor that provides a flexible programming infrastructure with high-density hierarchical quality-of-service (H-QoS) services, security, and integrated Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE). The distributed nature of the Cisco ASR 9000 Series improves resiliency by adding a new dimension in scale for features such as Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) and Ethernet Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (EOAM).
- Operationally efficient and redundant hardware: The Cisco ASR 9000 Series provides an infrastructure where all common components, route switch processors (RSPs), switching fabric, fans, and power supplies, are redundant. In addition, the platform is designed to use power on an as-needed basis, depending on system requirements. Power has been modularized for a true pay-as-you-grow approach, reducing capital expenditures (CapEx) and providing an operationally efficient deployment. The Cisco ASR 9000 Series also provides a space-optimized small-platform option that uses the common components of the series and retains a central-office deployment-ready capability using a patent pending side-to-back airflow design.
- Environmentally conscious design: In today’s world of increasing awareness of human impact on the environment and the resultant fiscal implications, Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers bring a fresh new “conscious” approach to product development. From optimal thermal design to the architecture of the power infrastructure, from the placement of line-card components to the pitch of each slot, every design aspect has one goal in mind: reduced environmental impact through lowered power consumption and decreased cooling requirements. Even the product packaging process was evaluated to minimize the use of packaging material and thereby reduce waste at customer locations. The Cisco ASR 9000 Series is an example of the continued Cisco commitment to efficient and future-friendly product design.
- Ready for the transition to IPv6: Cisco is delivering on our strategy of building out IPv6 next-generation networks to simplify design, deployment, and management of services for global service providers. The Cisco ASR 9000 Series Integrated Service Module (ISM) provides a single touch point for carrier-grade IPv6 deployment across thousands of devices.